PowerTabs Help You Learn New Songs on Guitar.

Saturday, June 14






What do you do when you wanna learn a new song on your guitar?
Here's what I used to do:
I goto a good guitar tabs site (like Ultimate-Guitar or GuitarMasta) and do a search for the song's tab. After fishing out the one I need, I sit down with my guitar in my lap trying to find out how to play the freaking song (unless it is an easy song). Reason: as you all know, online guitar tabs doesn't indicate rhythm so you gotta figure it out yourself.
But now, here's what I do:
I goto UG, do a search for the song, download a PowerTab for the song, and after a few minutes I'm jamming along to the notes I'm hearing on the computer. Welcome to the world of PowerTabs.
PowerTabs are special tab files that you use with the PowerTab software. The software can play PowerTab files ( .ptb files) that you can find on the internet. It doesn't sound too great, considering it plays using midi, but what the heck its damn useful in learning a new song.I'm not saying too much about this software now, you gotta use it to love it! Download it here for free.

3 comments:

TheAbacus said...

I agree with you on the usefulness of power tabs for picking up a song. But the problem I found as a beginner was I could learn solos, but never understand strumming patterns!

Here's something I wrote as an intro for beginners for strumming.. Please give me your inputs.

http://theabacus.blogspot.com/2008/08/basics-of-strumming.html

mantiz said...

right, strumming patterns are difficult to tackle, even with such tools as powertabs or guitar pro.. you actually gotta listen and understand the song to be able to strum it.
nice post there you've written.. keep it up :)

Nick Andrew said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.